The University is governed by its Council which is established by Escae Benin University. The Council consists of external members, staff, students, and graduates.
The Council’s principal responsibilities include:
- appointing the Vice-Chancellor & President as the chief executive officer of the University and monitoring his or her performance
- approving the mission and strategic direction of the University, as well as the annual budget and business plan
- overseeing and reviewing the management of the University and its performance
- establishing policy and procedural principles, consistent with legal requirements and community expectations
- approving and monitoring systems of control and accountability, including a general overview of any entities controlled by the University
- overseeing and monitoring the assessment and management of risk across the University, including commercial undertakings
- overseeing and monitoring the academic activities of the University
- approving significant commercial activities of the University.
The Council must in all matters endeavor to advance the interests of the University.
The Vice-Chancellor & President is responsible to the University’s Council for the academic standards, management, and administration of the University.